Thursday, January 9, 2014

Background Music While Writing

I must say that I am not much for background music.  Some of my friends in high school and college, and many of my students in public school and at the college level, just had to have music going when doing homework.  I can read novels while watching tv and movies, write in grungy diners with people milling about, but I can NOT write with music going.  I wonder why that is.   Perhaps because music overwhelms my emotion input and output, or perhaps it stems from being a music major and band director.  Those led to automatic analysis and critique.  What ever the reason might be, all music does for my writing is to stop the writing - and annoy me.

I offer the very antithesis of my neurosis - an author who uses music as a way to conceptualize character emotions, responses, backstory, or just as background for writing - the whole enchilada.   Roz Morris  has a blog in which she interviews other authors who use music in the writing.  About all I have used was to mention a character's ringtone

If the idea of writers use of music intrigues you, I recommend Roz's Blog:  The Undercover Soundtrack.  



No comments:

Post a Comment